There are 10 facts you should know about blood on Friday:
1) Blue blood exists - the blood of horseshoe crabs contains the copper-containing protein hemocyanin. This makes their blood blue instead of red.
2) It would take about 1,200,000 mosquitoes to fully drain the average human body of blood
3) Over 99% of the non-European population has Rh- blood type
4) The universal donner has 0- blood type, the universal receiver is AB+
5) The oldest and the most spread blood type is 0. It is over 40,000 years old
6) Various species require different levels of testing to ensure a compatible match. For example, cats have 3 known blood types, cattle have 11, dogs have 12, pigs 16 and horses have 34
7) Japanese believe blood type might determine personality. Blood type 0 is considered the best to be the best for leaders and managers.
8) Every fourth of us gets a blood transfusion in a life time
9) There are 107 mil blood donations a year in the world
10) First blood transfusion on human was accomplished in 1667 by Jean-Baptiste Denis, from sheep to humans